The farm at Nubanusit comprises a four acre area with gardens and two hoop houses, as well as pasture land. The Farm Team handles the land use agreements with the ventures that occupy it. Currently, ventures in which community residents may participate are:
- Farmer John's Plot (tenant farmer; see below)
- Chicken Club (for eggs)
- Pastured Meat Group (currently for beef)
Nubanusit Neighborhood & Farm have a reciprocal and complementary relationship: Neighbors nurture the farm and the farm offers the neighborhood food, beauty and connection to each other and the land.
Nubanusit Neighborhood & Farm (NN&F) will continue incremental development of the farm by:
- Implementing organic and sustainable practices to improve our land
- Allowing the interests & skills of neighbors to guide its development
- Promoting individual and community well-being with our work and play
- Offering a healthy diet and lifestyle
- Providing opportunities to recast conventional food production/distribution to adapt to our community life
- Providing opportunities for neighbors and others who work with us to learn about farming
- Reaching out to the larger community with food donations and learning opportunities
Farmer John's Plot (tenant farmer)
Farmer John's Plot leases our farmland and operates a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) vegetable farm on the land. Many neighbors purchase shares in the CSA and enjoy weekly produce harvests from spring through fall. All neighbors share in the support of the farm through our monthly dues for expenses such as soil amendments, equipment maintenance, and invasives control.